21 Jan 2014

My Training Plan: Week 3

After a couple of weeks back at it, I figured it was time for an update.  I have completed the first three weeks of my training plan, the Vancouver Sun's Learn to Run 10K program.  Now, honest confession: weeks 1 and 2 were complete snoozes.  I know it's only my pride speaking here, but walking more than actually running was difficult and hardly even felt like a workout.  In the fall, I was running up to 40-50 minutes without ever slowing down; however, I probably pushed my body too hard to get to that point so quickly.  Cardio-wise, I could handle it but I was straining my joints, mostly my knees.  Knowing that I need to allow my muscles time to develop properly, I had to stick with the plan or risk injury in the future.

This week, Week 3, actually started to feel like a workout.  The first session was run 3 minutes and walk 2 minutes, repeated 7 times (note that all sessions include a 5 minute walking warm-up and cool-down, so while I won't always refer to them, assume that they were included every single workout).  Since I haven't pushed myself in a run since the end of November, this felt like a good workout.  I broke a sweat, finished somewhat out of breath, and felt it in my legs once I was done.

The next two sessions for the week weren't as good as the first, but were still better than anything I did prior to Week 3.  While I'd like to say onwards to Week 4, I have come down with a bit of a cold which has completely zapped my energy.  As such, I am contemplating repeating Week 3 this week.


No comments:

Post a Comment