20 Mar 2019

Gear: Trekz Air by AfterShokz

About six months ago, in the fall of 2018, I was browsing online and came across an ad for AfterShokz headphones. And after I saw (or noticed) that first ad, I started seeing them all over the place - both online and in stores. So I started to read into them a little bit.

One of the challenges I have had is that I like to listen to podcasts on my long runs, and I sweat a lot, which was causing my regular earbuds to short out. So, I had been looking for a better set for running. So AfterShokz bone conduction thing really caught my attention. For obvious reasons, when I'm out running, I like to hear what's going on around me. That's one of the (only) reasons I liked the Apple EarPods. So AfterShokz looked really appealing.

So, I put the Trekz Air by AfterShokz on my Christmas wish list. And lucky enough, my wife got them for me.

Now, for those that are unfamiliar with them, according to AfterShokz website, the Trekz Air "bone conduction technology delivers music through your cheekbones, ensuring ears remain completely open to hear ambient sounds." The science behind these headphones is even exciting! For more information on the technology, click HERE - fascinating stuff.

From a physical/aesthetic standpoint, these are very sleek looking. The have a softer, almost velvety feeling plastic on them, making them very comfortable against the skin. They look very sleek.The ear pieces sit slightly in front of your ears. They fit extremely comfortably - very light and no pressure points. So they immediately feel quite natural.

The only criticism I have in this regard is the piece that goes around the back of your head/neck sticks out a bit (or maybe I have a small head) and, if I am wearing a toque or something with a collar, it interferes a bit when I turn my head. Minor issue, and generally only a factor during the coldest winter months.

The sound quality on these is very crisp. I had initially thought it would come through muffled, given that they aren't even in my ears and use bone conduction, but the sound is very clear and crisp. However, these do not product much bass. So if you're looking for bass, these are not for you. The Trekz Air, for me, are exclusively my running/cycling/active headphones. So I can deal with the lack of bass given all the other advantages. When I am not running, I have full over-ear headphones for that, which provide all the bass I need.

The Trekz Air are also water resistant. The AfterShokz website says they are "IPS5 certified to repel sweat, dust and moisture, from workouts to wicked weather." I have used them in rain, sweat in them profusely, and even run them under the tap to clean them off at the end of a long run. And they have definitely not had any issues. For me, this has given me a huge piece of mind to not worry about them.

And one of the most important factors, they do not block out any ambient sound. So if I am running in the city, I can hear what's going on around me. I have even used them on a group run and was able to hear my music and the conversation going on around me. Noise cancelling headphones definitely have their place, but when running, cycling, or exploring busy city streets, I feel it is important to hear what's going on around you. And these accomplish that perfectly.

As for battery life, I have had pretty consistent results with what AfterShokz claims on their website: 20 hours standby, 6 hours play time, charge in 1-2 hours. My one rule of them with them is that I need at least 40% battery for my long runs, which are usually 1.5 - 2 hours.

Overall, I have been incredibly impressed with my Trekz Air. I highly recommend them.

No comments:

Post a Comment